Did you know that, of all Major League Baseball (MLB) teams in the United States, the Chicago Cubs holds one of the worst claims to fame in the game? It has not won a World Series championship for over a century now, one hundred and seven years to be exact. The Chicago Cubs belong to the National League Central Division, and call Wrigley Field their home turf. The team competes in Major League Baseball, wherein the Chicago Cubs and the Atlanta Braves are the two oldest baseball teams in the US still in existence, as they both started playing in the major leagues in 1876. The Cubs won their last Major League Baseball titles in 1907 and 1908, with back-to-back wins in the World Series Championships that have not been replicated since.
A Long, Proud Ottoman Legacy
In 1299, Osman I founded the Turkish Ottoman Empire. In 1453, the Ottomans conquered the eastern Roman Byzantine Empire and ended the last vestiges of the Roman Empire with the fall of Constantinople. The Ottomans then made Constantinople their new capital as well. They were Sunni Islam, and ruled with an absolute monarchic ruler from a succession in the House of Osman. The rule lasted for six centuries, constantly creating and losing parts of the vast empire. It declined slowly until World War I, when it joined Germany as part of the Central Powers, but failed to pacify internal bickering within its own ranks. Its occupation of certain nations caused its ultimate disintegration, as the Allied Powers occupied these and even its own home country, resulting in the creation of Turkeyafter the empire was dissolved in 1922.
Last Hurrahs in Context
The Chicago Cubs won their last World Series Championships back-to-back in 1907 and 1908, at a time when the long-lived while the Ottoman Empire was still ruling. The empire did not dissolve until November 1st, 1922. Along with those tidbits of trivia, here are more of the same humorous references to the last time the Cubs won the World Series. The last time the boys from Wrigley Field won an MLB Championship:
- The Internet did not exist yet, so obviously no websites had ever been put up.
- The planet Pluto was not a recognized planet yet. It was discovered in 1930 and today, it is once again not counted among “true” planets.
- The Eiffel Tower was the tallest structure in the world.
- Canned beer was not served to anyone at baseball games or anywhere else, as no one has heard of it yet. It was first available in 1935.
- Hawaii, Alaska, New Mexico, and Arizona were not yet U.S. states.
Evolution of the Cubs Franchise
Did you know that the Chicago Cubs started as the Chicago White Stockings in 1876, and remained as such until 1889? Then, the franchise went through many other iterations. They were the Chicago Colts from 1890 to 1897, then the Chicago Orphans from 1898 to 1902. Could it be that the name Orphans had something to do with the losing streak which has lasted for over a century? But wait! The Chicago Cubs did not always have that losing streak, and have been successful to some degree despite not winning it all in the time since 1908. Here are the Major League titles that have been won by the Chicago Cubs over the years:
- Two Wild Card berths (in 2015 and 1998).
- Two East Division titles (in 1989 and 1984).
- Three Central Division titles (in 2008, 2007, and 2003).
- Sixteen Penants (in 1945, 1938, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, 1910, 1908, 1907, 1906, 1886, 1885, 1882, 1881, 1880, and 1876. The National League title 4 times (in 1945, 1938, 1935, 1932).
- Two back-to-back World Series titles (in 1908 and 1907).
Not too bad in a world where most of us could not even hope to even play for any major league teams. Who knows? Maybe the Cubs will pull it off this year!